Tenants Info

Tenants Guide to Renting Property

Searching for a Property

If you are currently seeking a property to rent, check out our property listings page.

If you have seen a property that is of interest or you would like to arrange a viewing, please submit an enquiry via the contact form on each of the individual property pages. Alternatively feel free to call on 0208 868 8526 or email lettings@chapelsproperties.com

If you cannot find the specific type of property you are looking for, we are always happy to take details of your requirements and contact you should a suitable property become available.

Referencing and Affordability Criteria

Before commencing with the tenancy we need to obtain satisfactory references from your employer and/or a previous or current landlord. There may also be instances when we require a personal reference or guarantor.   We will also confirm your credit score as part of this process.

Criteria is set by the external referencing agency (Blinc Tenant Referencing).  Please refer to the Referencing Criteria Tab for further details.

Please ensure you declare if you have any CCJs or adverse credit recorded on your credit file.  Under these circumstances a Guarantor may be considered in order to progress the application.  

Making an Application to Rent

Once a viewing has been completed and you have decided to make an application to rent, the offer will be sent to the landlord for consideration. On receipt of their approval the following next steps will apply: 

  • Holding Deposit of £300 to be paid. The holding deposit removes the property from the market whilst the application and referencing is being processed. The holding deposit will be deducted from your account when the tenancy commences.
    Should you withdraw your offer or decide not to proceed for any reason the holding deposit will not be returned.
  • Provide a copy of Passport or Driving Licence for all tenants
  • Provide a copy of utility bill or bank statement confirming your current address
     (Dated within the last 3 months)
  • Provide an email address and telephone number for all tenants 

The Tenancy Agreement

Once the terms have been agreed by both parties and approval received from the Referencing Agency, the relevant documentation will be prepared and issued to you for signature.  This will then be passed to the Landlord for signature and a counter signed copy returned for your records.

Final Statement of Account

Prior to the tenancy commencing we will require payment of the security deposit and the first month rental payment.    The holding deposit paid already will be deducted from the account.

A final statement of Account will be issued with the Tenancy Agreement. This will provide a breakdown of  payments made to date and confirm the balance payable prior to the tenancy commencing.   

Inventory & Schedule of Condition

A photographic inventory will be completed on or prior to check in and the cost covered by the Landlord.  This will be completed by an independent company and will also include details of utility metre readings. You will receive a copy of the report to review, any comments or requests for amendments should be sent in writing within 7 days of receiving the report.  

A copy of the final signed report will be provided to both parties to retain for their records.

An inventory clerk will also return to complete a check out report at the end of the term.  This will include details of final metre readings and photos of any issues identified within the property. 


As part of the Housing Act 2004 the Government introduced tenancy deposit protection for all Assured Shorthold Tenancies (ASTs) in England and Wales.

Your deposit will be treated under the tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS).

This is a Government accredited scheme.

Within 30 days of receiving a deposit, Landlords / Agents have to provide tenants with the Prescribed Information. This provides details of the scheme protecting the deposit etc.

How the DPS Scheme work?

  • The tenant pays the landlord or letting agent their deposit.
  • The letting agent/landlord pays the money in to the DPS scheme
  • Within 30 days of receiving the deposit, the Prescribed Information (signed by the Landlord / Agent) must be issued to the tenants for signature.  
  • A copy of the signed Prescribed Information is to be retained by each party.
  • Upon receipt of the deposit, the DPS provides confirmation and details of the protection scheme to the letting agent/landlord and tenant.
  • At the end of your tenancy the deposit must be returned within 10 days of both parties agreeing any deductions (if applicable)
  • In the case of any dispute, The DPS return any undisputed monies to the relevant party, but hold the disputed portion until the Alternative Dispute Resolution Service (ADR) or courts review the case and decide a fair outcome.
  • Your deposit cannot be used to pay your last month rent.

When can I move in?

A provisional Tenancy start date will be agreed when your offer made and application submitted.  Please note this is subject to referencing being completed, the tenancy agreement being signed and rents and deposit having cleared.

If there are any delays to the start date as a result of the late payment or delays in returning of paperwork, the tenancy shall still commence at the date agreed, however you will not be permitted to occupy the property until the satisfactory paperwork is completed.

Chapels Properties accept no responsibility should the commencement of the tenancy be delayed for any reason caused by the landlord, current tenant or yourselves.

Can I have pets in my new home?

You must consult us prior to obtaining a pet.  We will contact the landlord and await their decision.  

It is at the Landlord's discretion if an additional pet deposit is requested to be held during the term of the tenancy.

What if I find any faults or repairs that need addressing?

If you find any problems with the property you are renting, you should contact us immediately.

The quickest way to log your fault is to complete the Online Maintenance Form

Once we have been informed of any issues/faults we will instruct the landlord and await their instruction.

Can I decorate the property?

You must consult us prior to carrying out any changes to the property. We will contact the landlord and await his permission.   

Do I have to pay for Council Tax & Utility Bills?

As a tenant you will be responsible for any utility bills like water, gas, electric as well as council tax, unless there is a special arrangement with the landlord of the property. You will also be responsible for a TV license at the property, if you watch TV without a license you risk being fined.

As a tenant, do I need Insurance?

The landlord of the property is responsible for insuring the building and any furnishings that come with it. You will be responsible for insuring your own contents/personal possessions stored within the rented property.

Can I run a Business from the property I rent?

No. You must use the property solely for residential purposes unless specifically agreed in advance, in writing.

As a tenant, what am I responsible for?

  • Prompt payment of the rent
  • Prompt payment of gas, telephone, electricity, council tax
  • Reporting any damages to the property or furnishings within the property as soon as possible
  • Taking general good care of the property
  • Respect the needs of your neighbours
  • With sufficient notice allow access for engineer / landlord / agents visits
  • Ensure working batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide alarms at all times
  • To return the property professionally cleaned throughout at the end of the tenancy